Western Illinois University in Macomb Welcomes Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx
The concert on Saturday, October 10 will be just one of many festivities going on throughout the weekend at WIU, on Saturday as well as Sunday, October 11. The show will be held on the Q-Lot festival stage from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. during tailgating for the WIU football game. Admission to the concert, presented by the University Union Board, is free.
DeYoung is well known for his distinctive tenor as the lead singer for Styx on songs like "Come Sail Away," "Lady," "Don't Let It End," and "Mr. Roboto." He also scored solo hits with songs like "On Desert Moon." Styx is the only band ever to record four consecutive triple-platinum albums.
Other events at WIU's Family Day includes:
Saturday, October 10
- Fourth annual Fallen Soldiers 5K Run/Walk, 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., participants receive finisher medals and technical t-shirts if pre-registered. More information is available online.
- Family Day leisure activities, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., free face painting, giant pong, backboard-less basketball and bags – east lawn of Spencer Student Recreation Center.
- Leatherneck Game Day tailgating, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., southwest corner of Q-Lot. Spots are first-come, first serve.
- Family Day T-Shirt Sales, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Hanson Field grounds, near the tall flags. Prices are $9 for XS-XL shirts and $10 for 2XL-3XL.
- Student Assistance and Parent Service Center, 11:30 a.m., Hanson Field grounds. Free popcorn and information about joining the Parent Association.
- Family Day Picnic, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., under the big tent and grills, north of Hanson Field. Free meals, one per person, until the supply runs out. Menu includes standard picnic fare, such as hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, cookies and canned soda. Veggie burgers are available on request.
- Leatherneck football vs. South Dakota, 3 p.m., Hanson Field. Tickets are available in advance online, or by calling the ticket office at 309- 298-1190.
Sunday, October 11
- Brunch in the Halls – Thompson or Corbin/Olson dining centers, 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., cash and student cards only.
- Ball Fore Family Fun Center, U.S. Route 136, west of Macomb – offering miniature golf at $5 per person, batting cages for $1 per token for 12 pitches, a golf driving range at $5 per bucket of balls and free sand volleyball and basketball courts.
- Spring Lake Park – Located two miles north of Macomb on U.S. Route 67, turn left at Spring Lake Road and go 1.8 miles, entrance is on the right. Open 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. for fishing, boating, hiking, camping and other outdoor activities.