The Friends of The Log Cabins  have scheduled a Workday/Clean Up Day in the Lincoln-era Log Cabin Village tomorrow (Saturday, April 27) from 9 a.m. to noon in the village.  Anyone interested in helping clean up the village and its structures are encouraged to come.  Gloves and tools will be provided.  Plans are to clean the structures and grounds to prepare the village for the Open House Sunday, May 5 (Dogwood weekend), from noon to 4 p.m.

During the Open House at the Lincoln-era Log Cabin Village on Quinsippi Island in Quincy on May 5, The Friends of the Log Cabins will open the following structures: the 1835 Hull Log Cabin Home – set up like a pioneer home, the 1850 Herleman Log Cabin with a display of ice cutters used to cut ice on Quinsippi Bay in the 1800's, the 1850 Clat Adams Log Cabin Store – set up like one Lincoln would have worked in, the 1800's era Log Church “the Lord’s Cabin” - with its wooden log pews, the 1854 Log Corn Crib – where they stored corn for the winter with a Corn Wagon which has metal wheels made by “Electric Wheel” predecessor to Titan Wheel, and an 1800's era Stone Smoke House where they smoked meat to preserve it for later consumption.

These Historical structures were re-located from the region to Lincoln-era Log Cabin Village in Quinsippi Island Park in the 1960’s to preserve them so future generations could see how early settlers lived . The Friends have also added a Village Herb Garden, surrounded by a “waddle fence” with no nails to hold the fence together.  It is also a chance to see what herbs were used by pioneers as medicines and to ward off insects, etc.

Featured this year, retired School Teachers, Paul and Jane Moody, will bring artifacts they have collected that were used, to teach school in the 1800's.  They will also have activities for kids to do, that kids would have been done in the 1800's.  The Friends encourage folks to visit the village and if so inclined, donate toward the re-erection of the 1828 Fraser Log Cabin.  It was originally a stage coach stop on the way to Ursa, and when it was moved to the village was used as the Village school.

The Friends will have wooden “souvenir” items made by a Friends board member, available for a donation to help pay for re-building of the 1828 Fraser Log Cabin.  These wooden souvenirs would also make an interesting Mother’s Day or Father’s Day gift.

More From 100.9 The Eagle, The Tri-States' Classic Rock Station