Charles Moore, Getty Images
Charles Moore, Getty Images

I have had a few friends tell me of their experiences with their cell phone after it became wet. What should you do?  I had no idea what to tell them. Well, recently I received an email from U.S. Cellular with tips on what to do in the event your phone gets wet. The email included the following.

"A smartphone makes it easy to capture and share fleeting summer memories at the beach, on the lake or at the pool. But, the rush to capture these summer memories with a smartphone can lead to inadvertently getting the phone wet. U.S. Cellular recommends following these five steps to ensure the family memories you’ve captured on your phone are not lost forever:

Step 1 – If your phone does not turn off when it gets wet, power it down immediately. Once the power is off, remove the battery.

Step 2 – Grab a towel and remove as much excess water from the phone as you can.

Step 3 – The best thing to do is to leave the phone powered off for a day or two to give the internal circuitry a chance to dry out. During this time, turn it over several times, so that any water trapped inside can make it to the surface.

Step 4 – Do not speed up the drying process with items such as hairdryers, microwaves, space heaters and ovens. Placing it by a fan is a much better alternative to help the phone dry out.

Step 5 – Once you put the battery back in, turn your device back on. If it turns on, you can breathe a sigh of relief, though it may only be temporary. Signs of moisture damage may take time, and symptoms might appear several weeks or months later."

Here's another option.

Obviously, the best advice is to keep your phone away from the water, but if you do run into a situation where your phone becomes wet hopefully these suggestions will be of some use.

More From 100.9 The Eagle, The Tri-States' Classic Rock Station